Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Fairy Story (after a George MacDonald story)

The mystery

of longing and need --

the story of a young boy

who kissed a fairy,

she, the beautiful,

light sparkle, gold soul,

raspberry lipped.

She had told him,

"One kiss will

drive you insane."

But what a kiss it was,

the marriage of the sweetest softness,

and the most unbearable burning --

I take the bait,

take the bit,

bite in deep,

rest in it,

and then

find myself

falling gut-first

to the ground.

My weight heaves me,

my breath leaves me,

I am empty of everything, of any longing, any longer.

And there is only the realization –

that fairy was preaching some kind of Gospel

and that I am the willing sacrifice

on the cross of my own foolishness and desire.

(but what a kiss it was)

No comments: