Monday, April 10, 2017

couple, with dogs

I saw this couple walking down the sidewalk on this superb, overcast night. Each was walking a huge dog; the dogs were identical, thin, mottled shaggy black and white.



My assorted thoughts on seeing this –

Who gets the dogs if the couple breaks up?

Will they have to split up the dogs?

Isn’t it ashamed people have to go through all of that meeting, dating, haggling, discussing, arguing, moving in, only to raise two beautiful dogs that are going to get split up?

God, am I glad I’m single!



Then another thought –

Wouldn’t I like to just experience the sweetness of bonding with someone, being so close we could own two gorgeous dogs? We could walk them on nights like this, together, enjoying the company and the quiet and the occasional conversation.



Nah, I answered. I don’t trust other people like all that.



Then, another thought, in a different voice, my deceased curmudgeonly friend’s voice –

“Well, sir. Maybe that means that YOU are not that trustworthy.”



Yes, Baba, I suppose it’s so. I suppose it’s so.

No comments: