Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Devidas

Devidas was a bass player by profession
a goddess worshiper by faith
wore shades whose wire rims disappeared
into his curly brown hair

I could discern his love
for Lakshmi,, Shakti, Sarawati
for Gurumayi, our guru
-- the greatest goddess of them all
because his eyes were moist, his voice soft

Or maybe this was so because he was a musician
or maybe I just assumed he loved the female deity
because of his dharma name
-- Devidas means "servant of the goddess"

As it was, I really only had one good interaction with him
but I recognize him now
as a brother from a past life
guru bohin -- guru sibling
our bond over a conversation at Gorakh's house
on the lawn where he was trimming bushes
in preparation for Gurumayi's arrival in Chicago
stays in my memory

Along with the bananas and scented soap
given me on the darshan line
the chocolate
that brought tears to my eyes
because in it I tasted
the guru's love for me

No comments: