Saturday, January 4, 2020

Homing Signal, the Conversation

“I have two thoughts about this,” Tom said, “It’s fascinating, an incredible story. And the second is – that’s life.”
My best friend from high school and I met for breakfast on Christmas Eve day. I told him about the circumstances surrounding my birth, my being given up for adoption, and finding my birth parents at age 22.
He asked what had prompted me to seek them out.
“Nothing outside of me. It came from inside, like a homing signal. I had to find them.”
And yet it hadn’t been an obsession. More of an adventure.
I asked him if he’d seen the movie, “A.I”, a Steven Spielberg film, directed by Stanley Kubrick.
“Is this the one? There’s a scene at the end, a boy android has been frozen for centuries. When he is brought out of stasis, he encounters a future race of androids. Humanity has long since been extinct. And then he is granted a wish, anything he can think of. He says, ‘I want a day with my mother.’”
It was an earlier scene I was thinking of, I tell my friend. The boy-android finds his creator, the human engineer who designed him.
Long story short, at 22, I was looking for my creator.

No comments: